The Greek philosopher Diogenes was thought to be insane when he declared that he was searching for an honest man with a lantern. He did this in broad daylight sure that he would not be able to find one. Well the search for an honest, well qualified mechanic can seem to be an equally daunting one but doing so is absolutely critical. It is a search whose outcome will help determine how long your car last and how well it will run. Finding the right mechanic can also mean saving you money in the long term by reducing the number of times the same repair has to be redone.
At Houston Transmission Repair, where we install rebuilt transmissions in Houston, we want to make sure that our customers are selective about who they entrust their car to. We feel that when it comes to transmission service we will be the clear choice. Nevertheless, here are some pointers for choosing a great mechanic.
- Know their qualifications: Well trained mechanics will have various automotive certifications such as ASE (Automotive Service Excellence) certification. This will indicate the mechanic’s area of proficiency.
- Check references: Friends, neighbors and even onsite testimonials can be valuable in finding a good mechanic and evaluating a mechanic once you have found on.
- Meet the Mechanics: Talk to the mechanics at the shop to get a sense of how they are with people and how much experience they have. It is important that you can build a level of trust with your mechanic who you will be interacting with on an interpersonal level as well as a professional one.
- Go with experience: There is no substitute for experience. At Mr. Transmission we have over 50 years of experience servicing customers in the Houston area.
- Skip the dealership: If your car is under warranty go with the dealership; if not go to an independent auto shop.
- Go to specialist: Make sure to pick a shop where the mechanics specialize in the part, system or type of car you want serviced. You’ll get better service from a shop that specializes in transmission service than one that does not.
When it’s time to have a rebuilt transmission installed, it’s best to find someone you can trust and who has the experience to do the job right the first time. With careful research it doesn’t have to be as difficult as Diogenes’ quest for an honest man. Making this decision carefully will result in a car that lasts many thousands of miles.