For many people manual transmission cars are dinosaurs, a thing of the past that refuses to completely go away. In fact, according to a 2012 CNN report, only 4% of cars manufactured in America were equipped with a manual transmission. However, for those who own a manual transmission car they are a thing of class and beauty. These are diehard fans would not even consider buying a car with an automatic transmission. These owners swear by the many advantages they see to owning this vanishing breed of vehicle. Owners often cite the following advantages to owning and operating manual transmission vehicles.
- Ability to drive when abroad: Although the manual transmission vehicle is dying out in the US, they are quite common still in many parts of Europe. In fact, many Europeans consider it abnormal for a grown person not to know how to handle a stick shift.
- Better fuel economy: Some studies show that there can be as much as a 19% saving on fuel when using a manual transmission vehicle vs. an automatic transmission car.
- Easier to Maintain: All that is involved in changing fluid in a manual transmission car is pulling a plug and draining it. In contrast, for automatic transmission vehicles there are many bolts that must be loosened.
- Less vehicle theft: Since manual transmission vehicles are no longer common in North America, they often cause car thieves confusion. Young thieves in particular are more likely to abandon these types of vehicles and move on to easier prey (a car with an automatic transmission).
- Longer Life: Generally, manual transmissions last significantly longer than automatic transmissions.
Despite the fact that manual transmission vehicle production has been on the steady decline in the last few decades, there are still some great manual transmission vehicles that are currently being produced: Some of the best include:
- 2016 Mazda Miata
- 2016 Subaru BRZ (and Scion FR-S)
- 2016 Dodge Viper
- 2016 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
- 2016 Fiat 500 Abarth
- 2016 BMW M5
- 2016 Jeep Wrangler Willys
- 2016 Cadillac ATS-V
- 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
- 2016 Ford Focus ST
Of course, we at Houston Transmission Repair can repair and rebuild both manual and automatic transmissions. We keep up to date on all the latest tools and techniques to diagnose, repair and if necessary replace your transmission. Our service personnel are highly qualified, professional and will work on your car and have it up and running in no time. We also have many warranty options so that you can feel secure in your decision to use our services. So, whether you are a manual transmission devotee or not, our professionals look forward to working with you.