Signs it’s Time to Replace your Transmission
Believe it or not, transmissions don’t just fail out of the blue. They usually take time to stop working completely. For weeks or perhaps months, our cars send messages to us warning us that if something is not done soon they may fail us. The problem is, most people are so fearful of the idea of needing a new transmission that they try to ignore the warning signs. While, other people simply don’t recognize those signs. Here are some indications that your transmission may need to be replaced altogether.
- Bitter or burnt smelling oil: Check the smell and levels of your transmission fluid. Automatic transmission fluid should be sweet smelling and reddish in color. If your fluid levels are low when they been refilled recently your transmission could be burned out and need an overhaul.
- Rumbling, grinding or whining sounds: Normally if a transmission is grinding loudly it is time for an overhaul.
- Car shakes when shifting gears: Transmissions that are functioning correctly should ride smoothly during gear shifts. When the gears in manual transmission shift hard, jerk or shake during a shift change, it may mean your transmission fluid needs changing or your fluid level is low but it could indicate it is time for a replacement.
- Debris in Fluid: Debris in your transmission pan is a very serious symptom. If the fluid glitters like glass then what you are seeing is most likely metal shavings.
- Other signs: Other signs that your transmission may need to be replaced include hesitation when putting the car into gear, falling out of gear while driving and shifting gears for no apparent reason.
Right away even people who don’t know much else about cars know that the transmission is one of the most important parts of a car. Worse still is when a mechanic mentions “replace” in the same breath with the word transmission. Yet, as frightening as the mention of those two words in a sentence is, sometimes it is time to part with an old transmission. If your car has been experiencing any of the above signs, it may be “speaking” to you and telling you of an impending problem that can only be fixed by a new transmission. When you need transmission repair in Houston you can rely on Mr. Transmission.